Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Love is Strange--especially when I write about it for Sunday NYT Modern Lovew

I usually give this blog up to other writers, but I'm so excited I'm going to grab some real estate myself.

I always say I am the poster girl for never giving up. I've tried to get into the New York Time's Modern Love column for at least six years now. I always got back a polite no. There were always good reasons why they didn't want my piece. My piece went too far back in time. Or it didn't quite fit what they were looking for. Or it simply rambled. I finally assumed that they just didn't want ME (like any neurotic would).  Recently I was talking to a writer I know and telling a story, when she said, "You should write that to Modern Love." I didn't see it, but I figured I had nothing to lose, and so I did, sending it in, expecting nothing.

Two weeks later, I got an email and as soon as I saw it, I knew it was another rejection. I almost didn't open it. (We pause to tell you why: Many years ago, when I was first trying to get published, I ripped a brown self addressed stamped envelope in two, sure it was a rejection I couldn't bare to read. While the pieces fluttered around me, I saw the word: CONGRATULATIONS.  I scrambled to pick up the pieces and discovered I had won First Prize in Redbook Magazine's Young Writers Contest!) But I did open the email, and saw that they are going to publish my piece, probably Feb. 10th, if all goes well.

I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled!  I hope you will all read it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.