Sunday, January 31, 2010

Writing sparks

Recently, I've been so overwhelmed with other peoples' manuscripts, that I haven't had time for my own. It's hard for me not to be writing. I've felt cranky, and lost and moody and when I finally carved out some time to write last week, my novel-in-progress felt like a dead flounder on the page, which ramped up my despair level, as well as my need for chocolate. Why couldn't I write? What could I possibly do to work my way back into the writing zone?

But then, I began to finish up one particular manuscript, and it was so good, so breathtaking in the risks it took, and the way the characters related, that I felt that switch turn on for me. I wanted to write! I had dozens of ideas suddenly for my novel, (and my ideas, not this manuscript's) and today I sat down and wrote ten pages. Ten pages!

I have to thank that manuscript and that writer. That's what great art can do. Not just involve you in a whole other world, but to spark your own creativity. That manuscript was like an invitation to join the party, a reminder of that wonderful, magic, tough, rewarding world. And yup, we're all invited.

6 comments:

Gina Sorell said...

Fabulous!! So happy for you!! Ten pages is huge. I wrote a total of 4 that I am keeping this week. It's hard. But yes, I am a big believer that other people's work inspires..for me it's usually, music, art, or dance, that sparks my writing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...

So your students are thinking, "OMG, my manuscript is killing Caroline," and simultaneously hoping, "Maybe MY book is the one Caroline loves!" Happy writing, Caroline.

Caroline said...

No, no, no, I am very protective of my students and I adore all of them! This was a private client.

Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

Lovely post that I needed to read. I too am working on others' manuscripts and feeling spazzy about my own novel-draft-in-progress which others are reading right now for feedback. But a friend of mine sent pages of her novel in progress that were so stunning I had the same feeling! YES, writing is good!

Can't believe I haven't been to your blog sooner Caroline.

Caroline Leavitt said...

Well, Jordan, now there is always a chair here for you! With your name on it!