Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mac school and American issues

I haven't been in class in a long time but I went to a class at the way cool Apple store in Soho today. I was very shy in college and seldom asked a question but now that I am brave and bold, I couldn't stop asking the friendly guy teaching the class, "But what about this? And what about that? And wait, I just have sixteen more questions---" I'm going to go back to learn about Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, but I wish they had a class for Dreamweaver or someone would guide me through it in the one on one classes I bought up. I do have the great TEACH YOURSELF VISUALLY books, so that should be a snap.

Back on the soapbox, it occurs to me that people are veering from the issues. Yes, we need to refute Palin, but McCain is the one running, not her, and he's sort of been hiding behind her "story." (As a novelist, I resent the use of the word story with her!) What we need is an ad in a paper like USA Today that lists the facts and where to find them, that shows the truth up against the lies. For example, McCain in a video saying that he doesn't know much about the economy right next to a news item about the devastation on Wall Street. Or McCain saying Obama wants to tax everyone right next to a news item or video of Obama saying he is only going to tax the very rich and lower taxes on the middle class. Yes, I passionately care about book banning, gay and women's rights, the environment and choice and I do honestly fear we are turning into an American Taliban with the move to teach creationism in the school, but I think the average voter that we need to reach and convince cares more about issues like health care, the economy, taxes and the war. Those are the issues we have to hammer home and the best way to do it is with the truth--documented in videos or interviews or statistics. Why would McCain repeatedly say he doesn't know much about the economy if he does? All of a sudden he gained expertise in the past few months? Hmmmm, that might change a few minds, don't you think?

By the way, if anyone reading this is for McCain and is furious and irritated by me, please do email me. Let's discuss and I hope I can change your mind about voting against your own best interests--and everyone else's.

13 comments:

Jeff Lyons said...

C:

Re the Mac classes... there should be plenty of computer schools out there who offer training classes in all Adobe products... check out their website for training partners in NJ/NY. You can do a basic class in like 2 days for 1200.00. American Media Training does classes in NYC (http://www.americanmediatraining.com/index.htm?home.htm~mainFrame). I've used them for DW and they are good. Check out the site: http://www.americanmediatraining.com.

Re the other Mac... I'm not for him at all, but I'm not crazy about the other guy either. Frankly, every 4 years we all drink the candidate kool aide and go all googoo-eyed at the first Kennedy clone that comes down the pike and we suddenly stop asking the hard questions and just listen to the spin-doctors and media pundits. Neither one of these jokers knows what to do about the economy (nobody has an answer to that) and neither of them has a real solution for healthcare. they can keep their bloody tax kickbacks ... heal the economy so I can sell my services and let the marketplace pay me rather than the federal government! If I'm working then I dont' mind paying taxes! We need taxes... taxes are good... I want to make lots of money so I have to pay taxes! Its a good thing! Frankly, the 500 bucks a year I'd save under Obama's plan does me no good whatsoever, it doesn't even pay my CPA's tax prep bill, and Mcain's make no difference either (for me or most people who make under 50K). I say heal the economy... keep your tax cuts!

Sorry...you pushed a button... and I'm soap-boxing. They all just give me a sour stomach. I'm just an old cynic I guess... and totally un-star struck by good speech writers.

Hey... have a great day!

J :)

Caroline said...

Look, I'm not moony eyed about Obama, either, and I don't think I've ever said he was another Kennedy, but I am willing to give him a chance, and I deeply fear McCain and his cronies. And Palin. You don't have to adore him, but please vote so at least there is a chance of something different happening.

Jeff Lyons said...

C:

I know... and I didn't mean to imply you don't think for yourself... so sorry if it came off that way. I'm voting for Obama mostly because the Dems are at least more progressive when it comes to social programs, women, etc... that's enough of a reason. But... I hold no illusions ... not suggesting you do... but ... there it is.

J

Clea Simon said...

Democrats at least believing that we should HAVE social programs is reason enough for me to keep sending off donations to Obama/Biden. But beyond that, although McCain (and even Bush) have now crept up on Obama's platform, he was the first one saying that the Iraq war was a waste of life (and resources) and that we should be focusing on Afghanistan - and on rebuilding our own infrastructure. From the start!

Clea Simon said...

PS - I was for Hilary. Not because I thought she was another Kennedy, but because I'm a pragmatist and I figured she knew her way around enough to make the deals and get some shit done. But now I'm phone banking and donating to Obama/Biden, because I am terrified of a McCain/Palin administration.

Just think of what the Supreme Court could look like in four more years and, please, vote.

Gina Sorell said...

Clea, I was for Hillary for too, and I can't even vote!! But, I donated to her campaign. But now I will do what I can and spread the word and encourage people to vote for Obama...and I guess I better make a donation too...in lieu of voting, it's what I have to offer.

Katharine Weber said...

In other democracies, most people vote for their issues, they vote for their parties, they vote for what they believe in. Why don't we? The personality obsession makes the US look very, very silly.

Jeff Lyons said...

Katharine:

WELL SAID! We just look silly.

J

Leora Skolkin-Smith said...

I agree with Caroline and Katharine, it has begun to feel like a bloodsport, an entertainment special or some bad soap opera where one needs to tune in next week for the latest melodrama about Palin's teenage pregnant daughter or some other irrelevant war of personalities. And that's disheartening when there are so many critical issues to address. I think, as Caroline ahs suggested, sticking to the facts, the statistics about healthcare, Wall street, prices, the war is most sorely needed, and I wish too it would feel more like an election for a presidental candidate than the Roman Forum.

Clea Simon said...

I'm with you, Katharine. Sadly, I no longer have much faith in the American people. I don't know if we're silly or brainwashed, but it ain't pretty.

Gina Sorell said...

Okay, okay, if all goes to the shitter...I'll adopt all of you and bring you back to Canada :)

But you'll have to pay a lot in taxes and we apologize all the time...so think about it. LOL.
xo G :)

Jeff Lyons said...

Sorell:

Well, I figure with global warming Canada is going to be more like Southern California soon, so this is a real possibility.

Eh?

J

Gina Sorell said...

Fer sure eh?!
G :)