Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The writing life, part 100

I swear, my editor is genius. She is making things more subtle, which makes them more powerful. I am working ten hour days now, and when I am done, I want to go over the whole ms. again to make sure I got everything she asked me to do.  At this point, I would follow her anywhere.  of course, the problem with seeing this novel getting richer and stronger and more alive is my terror that the novel I am working on now is falling apart at the seams, that it is weak and silly and cannot possibly compete with this one (Of course, I still worry about the one I am revising, but less so since it is sold.)  How does any writer have or get confidence?  If you are a writer and have some, will you give some to me?

5 comments:

Katharine Weber said...

Working with a wonderful editor makes you a better writer. Because you are so receptive to what she offers (without being a pushover, I'm certain), you will absorb all sorts of elements of her wisdom and it will be there guiding you as you work on the new novel. Count on it.

Caroline said...

It truly is a amazing experience. Just changing a single sentence or looking at a scene in a different, subtler way, makes everything richer and stronger.

Katharine Weber said...

Absolutely! And sometimes the best editing you do, which makes it stronger, is to delete the last sentence in a paragraph.

Caroline said...

OK, now you are giving me the shivers because that is EXACTLY what she is having me do, a lot. I have to say, too, Katharine, that I learned--and learn-- a tremendous amount from you, and my writing has changed and grown because of it.

Sandra Novack said...

No words of advice, but I'm glad you love your editor!!! It's so important.