Monday, February 2, 2009

Got the movie business blues

Sigh, I am so perplexed hearing that Hollywood isn't making films with strong female leads because no one goes to them. How an this be true?  All the smart people I know would prefer to see a film with a strong female lead that was intelligent rather than rush off to see The Bride Wars or Batman 900: This time he Means Business. Of course, this is always the sort of thing they say until a film with a strong female lead wins awards and an audience. 

I am also tired of hearing that Hollywood only wants happy stories and to tuck those dark tales away.  Um...The Wrestler, anyone?  Isn't art about discovering the casualties of living?

Of course, to feel better, consider William Golding's great book about movie making (No one knows anything is the mantra), and John Irving also has a fabulous book about the process. John Truby has told me more than a few times how wrong many of the things said about movies are. A writer friend has a dark and brilliant novel optioned that is headed for the screen, and I can always count on Jeff Lyons to roll his eyes and tell me to think indie.


9 comments:

Krista said...

I want to see ANY movie with a positive strong roll model! I would love to see a movie with strong family values, there is such a void lately in values and respect. I rarely go to movies any more due to the violence and mind numbing content. Where have we gone wrong in society that no one wants to see a strong positive women as the role. Produce the movie and I will be there.

Jeff Lyons said...

C:

Don't think... BE indie!

J :)

Gina Sorell said...

Ignore everyone. Tell yourself quite simply that, yes what they are saying may be true for everyone else, but that you and your project are different. Tell it to them as well, when they try and tell you otherwise.

For me this is the only way to move forward.

And it never hurts to attach someone fabulous to your project...indie or not...this always helps.

Best of luck!
xo G :)

Jeff Lyons said...

C:

I agree with Gina... ignore everyone (except me).

J :)

Caroline said...

I like that, Ignore everyone and forge your own path. It's really brilliantly true advice. So Gina, wanna star? Jeff wanna direct and produce?

Caroline said...

And Krista, wanna buy the first ticket?

Gina Sorell said...

Yes please! Yes please!

Jeff Lyons said...

C:

Writer, director, producer... I've always wanted to be a triple-threat!

J :)

Krista said...

Besides buying a ticket...I would promote the movie, run the box office and do whatever it takes!