Monday, January 19, 2009

I love this quote

Jessica Keener sent me this quote, passed on to her by wonderful novelist Tish Cohen, and I love it so much, I am thinking of inscribing it on my head.

"If you don't feel you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then what you're doing probably isn't very vital. If you don't feel that you are writing somewhat over your head,why do it? If you don't have some doubt of your authority to tell this story, then you're not trying to tell enough." John Irving.

Thank you, Jessica.  And thank you John Irving

4 comments:

Cari said...

Well, THAT one clearly needs to go on my office wall. Thank you!

Clea Simon said...

oh I needed to hear that today! Thank you!

Lola said...

Carol-love this-copying it-it really says it doesn't it?:)
Lo

Caroline said...

I am imprinting this on my forehead. It is wonderful, isn't it? And so reassuring.