Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Let's hear it for the indie bookstores! Kathy L. Patrick talks about Beauty and The Book, the first and only beauty and bookshop!





Kathy L. Patrick is a force of nature. The author of "The Pulpwood Queens' Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life", Grand Central Publishing, and the founder of the Pulpwood Queens and Timber Guys Book Clubs (You have to go to a Pulpwood Queens Girlfriend Weekend to see for yourself what a razzle dazzle time she puts on! I spent three days in pink wigs!) and the owner of one of the most special indies around, Beauty and the Book. I adore Kathy and I adore indie bookstores, and I'm thrilled to have her here on my blog. Thank you, Kathy!


How did your bookstore start and what's so special about it? I know what it is, but tell the readers!

My Beauty and the Book began only because I lost my job as a book publisher's representative. My sister suggested I go back to doing hair as I put myself through college being a hairdresser. I told her I thought I would be bored and she quite matter of factly, told me, "Then do the book thing too!" All this bells and whistles started going off in my head and wa la, Beauty and the Book, the ONLY Hair Salon/Book Store in the country AND the Official Headquarters of my 500+ book club, The Pulpwood Queens, the largest "meeting and discussing" book club in the world. I never would have done this if I had not lost my job, so see good things can come from bad things. It's all in my book, "The Pulpwood Queen's Tiara Wearing, Book Sharing Guide to Life" published by Grand Central Publishing. I probably never would have gotten a book published either but if there is one thing I have learned, do something really, really, different. Think outside of the box. For me, what box?
What do you think a good bookstore should do?  

A good bookstore should be a place where you can go and find amazing discoveries. I help the undiscovered author get discovered in a big way as nobody is really doing just that, today everybody choices are being so narrowed by books that are being published that are givens. I am a risk taker and I want to find the next TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. In fact, Jeannette Wall's editor came up to me personally at Book Expo in New York City recently to thank me for helping her book The Glass Castle become a bestseller. Now I don't know about that but I do think we gave her a little nudge into the limelight. Being thanked was really appreciated, that's all I ask is a simple thank you.

And a good bookstore should be a place for community and NOBODY does that better than me. I am the unofficial chamber of commerce in town. I tell all who grace my doors, let me shop be your home away from home. You can stay as long as you like and we love having company! I like people and people who like books, well, they can stay for as long as they like and sometimes they do!!!
Not only can someone come into Beauty and the Book and get their hair done, but they can also buy unique gifts, come to fabulous author event, and buy books! What's in the future for your store?

Can people support and order from your store online?  

Yes, they can email me at kathy@beautyandthebook.com or call my shop at 903-445-2353 to order books. I have many signed like Pat Conroy's MY READING LIFE. Or they can order any book from my website, www.beautyandthebook.com, just click on my book and I get a kick-back from amazon.com on anything they may order. I figured if you could not beat them, join them. And to me as long as people are reading, I'm happy!
What question didn't I ask that I should have about your bookstore? 

What makes your Beauty and the Book different from any other bookstore? I would have to say, me, they broke the mold when it came to my passion for beauty and books. I'm pretty much like most independent bookstore owners, we are all characters. We have our own unique personalities but really how many book store owners would color their hair to sell an author's book. That's what I did for self-published MY ORANGE DUFFEL BAG by Sam Bracken with Echo Garrett. I believed in that book so much I told the world on Facebook that if I could sell 1,000 copies I would make my hair match their neon orange book cover. I did that in a week and a half and since then they have received a book deal from Crown Publishing, a division of Random House. Today, that challenge is out again for Michael Morris's new release, MAN IN THE BLUE MOON! I have two blue streaks so far but hopefully soon I will have MAN IN THE BLUE MOON hair! I do all kind of crazy things to help promote my book club selections. Recently, I have a Pulpwood Queen Book Club YARD SALE in conjunction of a book signing for Lynda Rutledge's New book, FAITH BASS DARLING'S LAST GARAGE SALE and to benefit my charity of choice The Dolly Parton Imagination Library Pre-School Reading Program in our county!

And if you want to really see what I do, check out my Beauty and the Book, Kathy L. Patrick, and Pulpwood Queen Girlfriend Weekend Facebook pages. I even have an online book club talk show at www.beautyandthebookshow.com and really working on trying to get that up on television or cable. Again, I will do what it takes to share my passion for beauty and books but nothing I could not share with my youth group at my church, hahhhahaa!  

Thanks for sharing my Beauty and the Book Caroline!

1 comment:

Libros Mas Vendidos said...

A good book store should have a all types of books collection whether its for child, men, women or aged with all types of category.