Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A student first becomes a friend--then a colleague!



Part of why I love teaching at UCLA is because every once in a while, I become real friends with the students. I first had Jennifer Gooch Hummer in one of novel classes years ago, but I knew she had talent at the first sentence. We became friends and even though she lives in LA, we've managed to see each other every year, meeting for chocolate at the City Bakery, and last year, while I was on tour, I was squired around by Jennifer in Manhattan Beach! I can't live without the red bling ring she made me (it's good luck), and I find I can't live without her in my life either.

I loved her novel, originally called APRON. It moved me, unsettled me, haunted me--and it's just extravagantly good. So, I'm celebrating today, because look what happened???



September 12, 2011Fiction Debut 

Jennifer Gooch Hummer's GIRL UNMOORED, a coming-of-age story of a 13 year-old girl in 1985, outcast from her widowed father and best friend, who is saved by Jesus (not that Jesus, but the actor who plays him in "Jesus Christ Superstar"), along with his partner; both of whom are social outcasts themselves, and both of whom have AIDS, to Lou Aronica at Fiction Studio Books, by Jennifer Unter at The Unter Agency.

1 comment:

Leora Skolkin-Smith said...

So happy for you, Jennifer! Can't wait to read it!

-Leora