Friday, June 26, 2009

Cupcakes and joy

Behold these beauties from Sweet, my favorite cupcake place in the world, which just happens to be two blocks away. This means it is often dangerous to walk on that particular block, because these cupcakes have their own siren song. These fabulous cupcakes (red velvet, banana, chocolate, coconut, vanilla, coffee, peanut butter, ginger, some with marshmallow, cream cheese and buttercream frostings) were a gift from Gina Sorell, a former UCLA writing student of mine (and now a friend) who just got an agent for her novel!

What is so amazing for me is that I saw the novel in its babyhood. I got to watch it grow and stretch and become something alive and rich.

And now I get to celebrate with Gina.

I thanked her profusely for the cupcakes, and I told her, as I truly believe: structure can be taught. All the nuts and bolts of writing can be passed on like an heirloom. But Talent--well, it cannot. Teachers, mentors, brilliant agents and editors guide you in the right direction to shore, offer life boats or new ways of swimming, cheer you on and make you better than you could ever imagine, but in the end, you have to do the strokes.

I'm just thrilled for Gina. She had the goods all along.

And now I have the baked goods and they are most delicious.

1 comment:

Gina Sorell said...

Thanks Caroline!

May every writer be so lucky to know and work with someone as amazingly talented and generous as yourself! I couldn't have done it without you.

And now to be be friends too?! Well, that is the icing on the cupcake!

xo G