Here's what I am thankful/grateful for this holiday:
1. Love. My husband, my son, my mother, my sister, my community of friends. I could not do without any one of the above. Not for a nanosecond.
2. Work. In this tough publishing climate, it is indeed a blessing to be able to do work I adore, to be writing scripts and to have a novel coming out!
3. Health. From one who was critically ill for a year, my great health now is just the frosting on the brownie, the marshmallow on the City Bakery hot chocolate!
4. Obama as president! Change, hope, the big Everything.
5. Home. From the time I was 14, all I wanted to do was live in New York City! I did, for 15 years, with my tortoise in a postage-sized slanted apartment on a block that was half Brownstones and half Welfare hotel, and now we live just a subway stop outside the city in a 3-story 1865 home we renovated ourselves. I never, ever thought I would want a home and a family, (I was really wild in my younger days...) but it is the blessing of my life. I am still hoping for friendly ghosts in our home. (But not Caspar. There is something wrong with that pathologically friendly ghost. He reminds me of the man next door that everyone says is so nice, right up until he bludgeons all the neighbors and is taken away.)
6. Movies and books. I once had a boyfriend who told me with great disdain, shortly before we broke up, "All you ever want to do is read, watch movies and knit." I say, "And what's the problem with that?"
7. A sense of surprise. Anything can happen. Isn't that sort of wonderful?